October 25, 2005
Low Voltage Fuel Gauge
The ISL6295 is a cost-effective, highly accurate IC that
measures, stores, and reports all of the critical parameters
required for rechargeable battery monitoring with a minimum
of external components. It precisely measures charge/
discharge current as well as voltage and temperature of a
battery pack. In addition, the ISL6295 accurately
accumulates both charge and discharge current as
independent parameters. Temperature history can also be
maintained for calculating self-discharge effects.
The ISL6295 integrates a highly accurate 16-bit (15-bit plus
sign) integrating A/D converter that performs calibrated
current measurement to within ±0.5% error. On-chip
counters precisely track battery charge/discharge and
temperature history. Also included are an on-chip voltage
regulation circuit, non-crystal time base, and on-chip
temperature sensor. The operating voltage range of the
ISL6295 is optimized to allow a direct interface to a single
cell Li-Ion/Li-Poly pack. 256 bytes of general-purpose
nonvolatile EEPROM storage are provided to store factory
programmed, measured, and user defined parameters.
Efficient communication is provided through an industry
standard SMBus/I2C™ compatible 2-wire communications
interface. This interface allows the host to determine
accurate battery status for effective system power
management and for communication to the end user. A
battery management solution utilizing the ISL6295 delivers
both space and total system component cost savings for a
wide variety of battery operated applications.
MARKING RANGE (°C) PACKAGE DWG. #
-20°C to 85 8 Ld TSSOP M8.173
-20°C to 85 8 Ld TSSOP M8.173
• Measures, maintains, and reports all critical rechargeable
battery parameters with high accuracy
• Supports Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer battery packs
• Current measurement with 16-bit (15-bit plus sign)
integrating A/D accurate to less than ±0.5% error
• Calibrated temperature measurement accurate to within
±3°C absolute using on-chip temp sensor or external
• Accumulation of charge current, discharge current,
temperature, and voltage in independent 32-bit registers
• 256-byte nonvolatile EEPROM stores factory
programmed, measured, and user-defined parameters
• In-system offset calibration compensates for offset error in
• Industry standard SMBus/I2C™ compatible 2-wire
- SMBus V1.1 with PEC/CRC-8 communication
• -20°C to +85°C operating temperature range
• NTC pin can be configured as a thermistor input or GPIO
• GPAD pin can be configured as an independent A/D input
• Flexible power operating modes allow low-power
monitoring of battery conditions during system full
operating and standby conditions:
- Run: Continuous Conversion; 85µA typ.
- Sample: Sample interval from 0.5-64s @ 45µA typ.
- Sample-Sleep: Sample interval from 0.5-138s min. @
• Shelf-Sleep mode reduces power consumption to pack
storage conditions to 300nA typ., with automatic wake-up
upon pack insertion.
• Notebook PC, PDAs, Hand Held Devices
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2005. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.