4M-BIT [512Kx8/256Kx16] CMOS FLASH MEMORY
• 524,288 x 8/262,144 x 16 switchable
• Single power supply operation
- 5.0V only operation for read, erase and program
• Fast access time: 55/70/90/120ns
• Low power consumption
- 40mA maximum active current(5MHz)
- 1uA typical standby current
• Command register architecture
- Byte/word Programming (7us/12us typical)
- Sector Erase (Sector structure 16K-Bytex1, 8K-
Bytex2, 32K-Bytex1, and 64K-Byte x7)
• Auto Erase (chip & sector) and Auto Program
- Automatically erase any combination of sectors with
Erase Suspend capability.
- Automatically program and verify data at specified
• Erase suspend/Erase Resume
- Suspends an erase operation to read data from, or
program data to, another sector that is not being
erased, then resumes the erase.
• Status Reply
- Data polling & Toggle bit for detection of program and
erase cycle completion.
• Ready/Busy pin (RY/BY)
- Provides a hardware method of detecting program or
erase cycle completion.
- Sector protect/unprotect for 5V only system or 5V/
• Sector protection
- Hardware method to disable any combination of
sectors from program or erase operations
• 100,000 minimum erase/program cycles
• Latch-up protected to 100mA from -1V to VCC+1V
• Boot Code Sector Architecture
- T = Top Boot Sector
- B = Bottom Boot Sector
• Low VCC write inhibit is equal to or less than 3.2V
• Package type:
- 44-pin SOP
- 48-pin TSOP
• Compatibility with JEDEC standard
- Pinout and software compatible with single-power
• 20 years data retention
The MX29F400T/B is a 4-mega bit Flash memory orga-
nized as 512K bytes of 8 bits or 256K words of 16 bits.
MXIC's Flash memories offer the most cost-effective
and reliable read/write non-volatile random access
memory. The MX29F400T/B is packaged in 44-pin SOP,
48-pin TSOP. It is designed to be reprogrammed and
erased in system or in standard EPROM programmers.
The standard MX29F400T/B offers access time as fast
as 55ns, allowing operation of high-speed microproces-
sors without wait states. To eliminate bus contention,
the MX29F400T/B has separate chip enable (CE) and
output enable (OE) controls.
MXIC's Flash memories augment EPROM functionality
with in-circuit electrical erasure and programming. The
MX29F400T/B uses a command register to manage this
functionality. The command register allows for 100%
TTL level control inputs and fixed power supply levels
during erase and programming, while maintaining maxi-
mum EPROM compatibility.
MXIC Flash technology reliably stores memory contents
even after 100,000 erase and program cycles. The MXIC
cell is designed to optimize the erase and programming
mechanisms. In addition, the combination of advanced
tunnel oxide processing and low internal electric fields
for erase and program operations produces reliable cy-
cling. The MX29F400T/B uses a 5.0V±10% VCC sup-
ply to perform the High Reliability Erase and auto Pro-
The highest degree of latch-up protection is achieved
with MXIC's proprietary non-epi process. Latch-up pro-
tection is proved for stresses up to 100 milliamps on
address and data pin from -1V to VCC + 1V.
REV. 1.6 , NOV. 12, 2001